Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Using 414's in the Model 14?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Using 414's in the Model 14?

    I have a friend that is contemplating on getting a set of 14's. They do not come with the original woofers. I have a set 414's, and said he could borrow them to use and see if they would work.

    Has this been attempted before, and what was the result? Is it worth it? WIll he/Ihave to make an adapter plate to fit the 414's in? I think I read somewhere the original 14's woofers were 13".

    I just measured the 414's I have and they were 12'.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Using 414's in the Model 14?

    The tuning port would have to be changed, as would the crossover. Plus, the 414 won't handle the power the woofer in the Model 14 produces, and, depending on which era of 414, they might not even mount to the box.

    Call Bill at Great Plains Audio and see if he has or can make some Model 14 woofers.
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member VolvoHeretic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2011
    Location
    The Exact Center of North America
    Posts
    841
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Using 414's in the Model 14?

    I don't know anything about the model 14, but my research for my son's model 15 indicates that it's woofer runs full range and only the horn has a 1500 Hz capacitor high pass. I think that they both use the same woofer.
    "James, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!" World's scariest Volvo: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKn-LTNa4rc[/url]

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Using 414's in the Model 14?

    I think that they both use the same woofer.
    Not so. The 15, 9, and Santana II share the same woofer. The 14 woofer handles more power, has more motor.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Using 414's in the Model 14?

    Thanks guys,

    It was as I suspected, my friend called Bill and my friend was told he does not have a replacement for that woofer.

    I told my friend to either pass on those 14's, or try and get them for MR horn and the 902 driver and then he could use/buy my 414's for that project. But considering he isn't too experienced/thrilled in the notion of DIY, he's gonna pass.

    I would grab them, but I am about to grab a set of 19's for $400, plus I have too many projects on my plate at the moment.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Using 414's in the Model 14?

    What's needed are accurate specs of an original as I bet there's a current, 'close enough', performing one available nowadays.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.